Question
Posted by: Harry | 2008/01/31

cortisol

I have now combined my question with that of the other person, so you can answer all at once.The question is, can a problem with cortisol be associated with unusual lethargy and weight gain in a dog whose bloodwork is ok, including thyroid.In addition, if an animal seems to be stressed a lot, such as having a bad start in life and having severe separation anxiety not remedied with behavioural therapy, would this dog develop a cortisol problem? Is this connected to the adrenals? What is normal cortisol level? How else do you diagnose cortisol problems? What does a cortisol problem do to the body?

Yes the adrenals (the glands adjacent to the kidney) produce cortisol and it is increased under stressful conditions. A basal cortisol level can be performed by your vet to determine what the normal day-to-day levels are.

To answer the other question - when you say blood work OK, what tests were done? One can have blood tests that are "OK" but unless a specific test is done the result may be misleading. In other words if one does a general health profile it will give you results for all the tesats in the panel that may be normal but specific tests will be required to determine if other conditions are present (not catered for by the general health profile. I hope that makes sense!

1
Posted by: HR | 2008/01/31

Hi Harry,
Go to www dot petplace dot com
Look up Hyperadrenocorticism [Cushing's Syndrome]
Perhaps that is what you are looking for.
Hope this help.
HR

Reply to HR