Question
Posted by: Shazzie | 2004/03/05

Cortisol

I have been Diagnosed with extreamly high Cortisol levels (883). What can I do to reduce this naturally, or is medication the route to go? If so ... what do you suggest?

Expert ImageArchive

High Cortisol levels are most often related to periods of extreme stress, your first step is to identify the areas of stress in your life and then take some reflective time to perceive them differently. Normally we feel stress negatively when we feel controlled by the stressful event, rather than feeling in control of the situation. Certain events can be highly stressful yet if we feel in control they can be positively stimulating and lead to inspiration. If this is relevant to you start to frame the stress according to a bigger picture and longer timeline until you feel that what is happening now has more relevance to you in the larger scheme of life.
Other causes of high cortisol levels can be pain, and inflammation in the body. If this is relevant to you seek treatment for these problems.
Natural medicine for high cortisol levels normally focuses on the adrenal glands - treatments like meditation, massage, reflexology are valuable. Remedies are high potency Vitamin B complex, Magnesium, and the herbs Passiflora with valerian.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)