Question
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/29

Correct Fish Care

Dear Cybervet

I have just (for first time ever) taken up the hobby of having fish. Ive mixed some malawis with some goldfish and would really like to know if these fish are compatible. What else do I have to feed them beside fish flakes. What else should be put in water? Is there any other meds etc that i need to add to their water to prevent them getting ill or dying?
Your kind assistance will be appreciated.

I will need to ask someone else to help you as fish are not my forte. Please send me your email address and I will ask someone to help you.

12
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/04/02

Good morning

Thanks for your reply Cybervet. My mail address is
nadia_najalo at hotmail dot com. Thank you much appreciated.

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: JK | 2007/03/30

Will keep in touch! :)

Reply to JK
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/30

Super!!! Dont disappear would love to stay in contact with you. My mail nadia_najalo at hotmail dot com

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: JK | 2007/03/30

Hi - here are some answers to ur questions!

1. Catfish - rather not as they will be nibbled on. Go for something a bit more tough like a pleco (algae eater). Just remember they also need special food as they are bottom feeders

2. Male/Female - very difficult to tell. In some fish like the yellow labs the paler yellows tend 2 be female. Sometimes the spots on the tailfin (egg spots) can tell u sthing (more spots mayb a male). Otherwise, luck of the draw!

3. That was actually a silly site I gave u (was off the top of my head). Rather go 2 malawiancichlidhomepage.com. Many great pics. U will c that they have hectic scientific names but I am sure u will catch on quickly. You probably have mbuna type species. The odd coloured ones (eg yellow with an orange head sound like hybrids)

Best of luck!

Reply to JK
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/30

Hey JK

Just one more thing by the way that site is great. Is there a site that i can maybe view pics of these fish as i would like to know what sorta type i have. Thanks

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/30

Something i forgot to ask you how does one determine whether your fish are male or female.

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/30

Wow you are really great help with this. I have one yellow lab and Ive noticed that he is very playful. Will swim up to pump and swim towards bubbles and be squirted right back continuously and hes always hiding in rockery. Ive named him Nemo because his so naughty hehehe. I have 5 grey with blue head and the one yellow. The babies 4 yellow 2 yellow with orange head 1 light blue 1 stripe and 2 spotted. I have noticed in the boss's sons tank that the grey with blue head is VERY aggressive. Tell me can i put a catfish in same tank? My kids want one.

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: JK | 2007/03/30

Its a pleasure to help. It is strange that they are not showing any agression...but believe me they will. They are notorius for bullying. It causes me endless headaches! When you clean the tank once a week you need to change about 25% of the water. Never remove all the water and place the fish in a container etc as it stresses them out. Complete water changes also upset the balance of good bacteria. Haven't heard of that specific brand of food though. Just be careful. Depending on the type of MC they need a special diet - some are vegetarian and others are omnivorous..not too much of an issue

MC's are very nice and very intelligent fish. You will see that each one has its own personality :) They are generally cave dwellers that is why it is important to have plenty of hiding places for them. They also like establishing territories in the tank. There are also different species which have various levels of agression. The yellow varierty (or yellow labs as they are celled) tend to be the least agressive. The brighter orange or striped variety are a bit of a pain and tend to be the tank bully's. The nice thing about MC's are that the majority are mouth breeders i.e once the eggs have hatched the babies are kept in the mother's mouth. They will protect their young to the death.

A good site to visit for info: www cichlidsrus.com. It has details of diseases etc.Please shout if you need any help

Reply to JK
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/30

Hi JK

Yes you 100% correct they are Malawian cichlids. I have seen what the full grown ones look and how aggresive they are but like i said my ones are still small (not babies). Got 10 babies yesterday but put that in seperate tank. As for the goldfish they are also not permanent I am just fish sitting for my niece as she is moving house. They in house now and shell probably fetch them shortly. I dont have any plants in the tank only smooth rockery. I did not buy the MC from the petshop I bought them from the boss's son. He did say not to mix MC with GF but i figured if they still small they wouldnt be that aggressive. I have observed them and i have not noticed ANY aggressive behaviour whatsoever. Yes i do have a heater and quite a good pump with filters. When i clean the water is it also just to empty half a tank and then fill up or empty whole tank? Is MC tropical fish. The fish flakes i bought are Bayonet Product and it says on there for tropical and gold fish. Is this ok. I will be making a trip to a fish breeder tomorrow and hope that he can advise but to date you have been of REAL HELP. Thank you. Please tell me more about the fish. Ive tried to google but ive got a problem with my PC when i google i pick up porn. (work at a home based office and think the kids may have messed on the PC )

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: Jk | 2007/03/29

I hope that you are talking about the same Malawians. You got Malawian cichlids right? Did the guys at the pet store tell u they r malawians? Do you have a heater in the tank?
Anyways here goes:
Water: If they are tropical fish you need to get a heater and the water should stay 25 - 28 degrees (buy a stick-on thermometer). Goldfish don't need the constant water temp. U will need to change the water once a week at least using a cleaner you can buy from the pet store (it looks like a plastic cylinder with a pipe). For the water change u can use ordinary tap water that has preferably stood overnight. Sometimes u can add TetraSafe start to keep the bacterial levels normal. There is also something u can add if ur tap water has lots of chlorine

Feeding: Goldfish 1 x a day, malawians 2 x a day
Types of food: goldies: - goldfish flakes, malawians - cichlid pellets or flakes

Try to keep tank away from sunlight as it causes algae to grow.

Reply to Jk
Posted by: New Fish Owner | 2007/03/29

Hi JK

Thank you so much. Theyve been in the same tank for about 3 weeks and yes the gf are still alive. The malawians are not big they still small and thats why I suppose the gf are still alive. Please advise me as much as you can on water, food and feeds etc Will really be appreciated.

Reply to New Fish Owner
Posted by: JK | 2007/03/29

Hi there! Sorry to be so forthright but ARE YOU CRAZY! You cannot mix malawians and goldfish. You will have no goldfish within a couple of days as they will be eaten. The guys at the pet store should have told you this. Also goldfish require different water parameters - they should not be in the same tanks.Also malawians do not like fish flakes - they need special pellets you can buy from the pet store. You must also not keep any plants with the malawians as they will eat them. Their tank should be filled with smooth rocks as the lakes they come from. Your tank should be fine in the beginning and hopefully you wont need any medication. Besides the 2 different species need different types of meds. If you need any more info please let me know.

Reply to JK