Posted by: pradeep | 2012/10/28

coronary artery

Dear Sir
I am 56 years old and I had heart attack two years stent was put in LCA after balooning.My question is how much % of artery blockage requires balooning and stenting at my age.After heart attack some of the arteries become dead.Does it affect normal function of heart.Is there any test to know that how % of heart is working e.g. before attack if it was working say 60 % then how much % it is working.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Pradeep,

Thank you for your question.

As a general rule, any narrowing of an artery should be treated, either with a balloon or a stent, if the narrowing restricts blood flow. Usually it is clear from the angiogram whether a narrowing is severe enough to restrict blood flow, and narrowings of 70% or more should usually be treated. However sometimes the severity of a narrowing may be difficult to judge just from looking at the angiogram. If that is the case, the true significance of a narrowing can be measured using a technique called FFR, which involves measuring the pressures above and below the narrowing. These general rules apply at all ages, but there are of course other factors to bear in mind when deciding whether or not a narrowing should be treated, eg age, activity levels, whether or not the patient is diabetic, etc.

After a heart attack it is not the arteries which become dead, but the heart muscle which they supply, which may be temporarily or permanently damaged. The usual way to detect heart muscle damage is with a test called an echocardiogram, which is easy to do and not invasive. The echo can show areas of the heart muscle which are not contracting properly, and also enable cardiologists to calculate what is known as ejection fraction, which is done by measuring the area of the main pumping chamber when the heart is relaxed and again when it contracts. A normal ejection fraction is between about 45 and 70% (not 100%!) and please bear in mind that ejection fraction is subject to observer variation. Your cardiologist should be able to make these measurements for you and give you the information that you need.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes, JT

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.