Posted by: Marly | 2012/10/20

Corneal Neovascularisation

My optician told my I have Corneal Neovascularisation caused by wearing contact lenses excessIvelying. I am now giving my eyes a break from contact lenses but I am very concerned. Should I go to see an eye specialist and is there any treatment such as vitamins or laser. Will I be able to wear contact lenses again (for less time each day).

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Yes, I do suggest that you consult an opthalmologist to exclude the possibility that your eye sight has been damaged. Corneal neovascularisation can be treated by fitting patients with lenses made of the modern silicon hydrogel and that tends to solve the problem. Older types of contact lenses allow less oxygen through, which is the cause for corneal neovascularisation.

You can ask your doctor for a script for an antibiotic eye ointment, as this has been proved to solve the problem. Remember to always wear sunglasses to avoid eye exposure to severe windy conditions.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.