Question
Posted by: Mariaan | 2004/01/20

Corn allergy

Told by dr that child (11) is allergic to corn. Couldn't provide me with list of what to avoid - said wheat pix, pasta etc. I would like to get more specific info on what popular foods to avoid eg pancakes, pizzas etc.?????
Mariaan

Dear Mariaan
Did the dr say "wheat" or "corn" (the latter is equivalent to maize, maize meal and all products made with maize)? I suspect that the dr said "koring" which is 'wheat'. If the latter is true then your child will have to avoid all breakfast cereals and grain products that are made with wheat or wheat flour: all wheat breads, wheat bix, crushed wheat ('stampkoring'), all pasta, all dough made with wheat flour (thus all cakes, biscuits, pies, tarts, pizzas, etc), all sauces thickened with wheat flour (check on the labels of all processed foods). In modern processed food, wheat is used very widely so you are going to have to read every food label to see if the product contains wheat or wheat flour. A wheat allergy can also make the patient react to oats and barley, so be on the lookout for reactions to these grains too. A wheat allergy diet is a particularly difficult diet to follow and I would suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian to help you sort out which foods are permitted and which are not (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian). Basically your child can eat maize products (maize meal porridge, cooked corn on the cob, maizena, samp,), sorghum (Maltabella porridge, crushed sorghum), rye bread which is free of wheat flour, rice, Rice Crispies and rice cakes, fresh fruit, vegetables, freshly cooked meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products.