Question
Posted by: Lizzie | 2004/11/18

COPD

I have been a smoker for 40 years and have COPD. I have been taking Zyban and completely stopped smoking 10 days ago. I am finding that I am very short of breath, my chest is very tight and I am coughing badly. I know that when one stops smoking there is a period when the lungs try to get rid of all the rubbish accumalated from smoking but my chest seems to be getting worse by the day. Is this normal for a COPD sufferer and will it eventually ease off?

Many thanks
Lizzie

Lizzie, it might just be because you stopped smoking, but as you have COPD you can’t take chances and the best would be to see your doctor if it hasn’t cleared up by the time you receive this reply. Good luck.