Question
Posted by: linros | 2008/06/11

Cooked oats weight

Can you please help me with the conversion of uncooked oats weight to cooked oats weight?

I eat Jungle oats in the morning (unrolled, no sugar) which comes in a 50g sachet. I add 180ml boiling water as per the instructions.

How much does 50g uncooked oats weigh when it's cooked?
Thanks!

Dear Linros
According to the SA Food Tables, 1 cup or 205 ml of a mixture of instant oats to which boiling water has been added weighs 230 g. I don't know why you need this figure, because you need to keep in mind that the nutritive value of the oats remains the same when you add the water. For example if the 50 g of dry instant oats contains 798 kJ (as stated on the label) and you add 180 ml of water (or any volume of water) and you then eat all of the resultant mixture, it will still contain 798 kJ.
Hope this helps

1
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/13

You would have to weigh it before and after cooking because there are many factors that could influence the result, like leaving it in the microwave till you couldn't even scratch it out of the bowl could have a drastic effect on the end product, ect. Actaully your just suppose to pour in boiles water and serve it but feel free to weigh it.

Reply to Zexeon