Question
Posted by: ayesh | 2004/02/24

controlling diabetes without medicine

My husband just found out he has diabetes. From the state of his health he has had it a long time. He wants to control it through diet only. I am trying my best but the numbers are not going down. I started him on a barley diet. Beans, fruits, vegetables, lean protein, fat free yogurt. And only Barley because it is low GI. How long can he stay on a diet like that? Is there any other grains that are low GI.

Dear Ayesh
I always recommend that all diabetics should consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), to work out a diet for their condition. Diet is the prime factor in the treatment of insulin problems. To obtain more information about diabetes click on 'Diabetes Centre' on the Health24 Website and for information on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read all the articles on the GI.

1
Posted by: John | 2004/02/25

I personally also follow a carb restricted diet and it has had incredible results on my general health.

There have been alot of success stories regarding diabetics and carbohydrate restricted diets.

Reply to John