Question
Posted by: FRUSTRATED PA | 2007/06/25

CONTROL FREAK

I HAVE JUST ABOUT HAD IT. MY BOSS BLAMES ME ALL DAY FOR EVERYTHING. SHE CONTINUOUSLY CHANGES THE FILING SYSTEM AND SAY THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE THIS WAY. SHE RECEIVES STUFF THEN TWO WEEKS DONE THE LINE THE LINE SHE SAY ALL SORTS ABOUT IT. SHE GOES ON SOMETIMES FOR HALF THE DAY BLAMING ME. I FEEL AS IF I CAN NO LONGER DO STUFF CORRECTLY AND FEEL INFERIOR. SHOULD I WALK OUT? ARE THERE ANY CONSEQUENCES TO THIS?

I continue to be amazed that SO MANY people post questions here on a Monday, while so very few bother to try to post helpful suggestions to assist other people with problems you have experienced too. That's selfish, folks !
Secondly, I continue to be amazed at how many atrociously lousy bosses there are in SA< in large and small companies, to the extent that it seems a miracle that any businesses survive at all. I have no idea what consequences there would be of walking out, telmpting though that option may seem --- presumably you would have no job ad no references. Maybe start looking energetically for a new job with a competent boss ?

1
Posted by: shuu | 2007/06/26

I am not sure. to run or not to run? What a question.

I would suggest though to stand up for yourself even if you shall look for another job. Stand up to her. Tell her how you feel. Do not be confrontational. Be calm, cool and composed. be ready to yell back if she pushes to that direction nonetheless.

Do not be a caward. Stand up!

Is everything alright back at her home? Does she do well socially - family, husband, boyfrien and other things? This may be the cause. One motivational speaker once advised that do not just walk away from negative people RUN VERY FAST. He also advised that before doing that, first let them know how much of a nuisance they have become and then RUN!

We know how difficult RUNNING can be in this day and age, with high unemployment rate. However, keep your cool and just do as she orders until you find another job. I have come to learn how nice it becoems working for a control freak. S/he will want to have hands all over and want to "TELL" you what to do and how. To an extent that even when s/he ask me to do the obvious, I would ask him or her how should I do it. And often they would want to advise you to do it the long winded route. Do it your way - they won't forget having "TOLD" you how. yet you have wasted their time and asked them, therefore stroke their ego, and wasted their time and at the end did it your most efficient way.

These are people that make staying in a job horrible experience and cause high turnover rate. However, it does not matter. Enroll for courses and just do only what s/he ask you to do, enrol for online courses and do those and enjoy your life. Arrive at 08:00 and if work isn't finished by 16:30, tough! leave, go home.

They'll learn their lesson some day!

Reply to shuu