Question
Posted by: Bee | 2003/03/11

contraceptives

my partner has hepatitis c. we both live & love life as normal people do. My question is which is the safest oral, injective or implantive contraceptive for someone that is a hep c sufferer? The advise available is vague & contradictive, progeterone-only seems the favourite, what about the synthetic progestrin ones like Implanon etc. It's all very confusing and bewildering but the best choice is obviously to be the safest for the loved one in my life. Perhaps a vasectomy for me???

Your partner would need to avoid oestrogen containing combined pills. So the alternatives are progesterone contraceptives of one type or another. The injectable, either Depo provera or Nuristerate is more than 99% safe. The progesterone only pill is slightly less safe and has to be taken at the same time every day. Implanon, as far as I know is not available in SA and I don't know much about it. Vasectomy for you is an option if you have completed your family, as would sterilisation be for your partner.