Question
Posted by: Bee | 2003/03/11

contraceptives

My partner has been diagnosed and treated for hepatitis C for three years now. We are living & loving our lives together as normal people. My question to you is, what is the safest contraceptive for her to be taking. The internet and all other sources seem full of contradictions from one end to the other. So far as I have been able to acertain a contraceptive with progestrogen-only appears to be the safest bet for her thus far. We would both like to find out if the steroid based progestin injections and implanon implants are indeed not the way to go. Again, all results of extensive web searches seem very vague & contradictive. Your unbiased advise would be appreciated.

Bee, the safest would be for you to use condoms or for her to have an IUCD (loop) placed in the womb. Although the effect might be small, all the hormonal preparations have the potential of affecting the liver. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.