Question
Posted by: Pleeeez help me!! | 2004/11/19

Contraceptive - Is it safe enough?

Hi…
First of all… I like what you girls are doing here. I’ve been reading through some of these articles and the are handy.

I am 19 and busy with my first year in Visio Therapy my boyfriend is 23 and started his last year in Chemical Engineering. We've been dating for 3years and I love him very much but at this stage we cannot afford a baby. I’m using a contraceptive called Ginette 35, I’ve heard that is safe and very affective. Is it ok to not use a condom at all or…. Would it be safe to not use one and when he comes near orgasm putting one on and him not ejaculating in me? Should we use one all the time to be sure? Or is the method we are using safe enough? This worries me because we did it without one a few times, the latex seems to have some allergic reaction on him.

Cheryl

The Pill is more than 99% effective. The advantage of using a condom is that it protects against STDs if you are not sure that your relationship is monogamous. It does not provide any extra protection against pregnancy.

2
Posted by: Cheryl | 2004/11/21

We did talk about the injection and decided to not go with it because of this reasons. We are planing a fam but not right now. We have been together for 5years and we trust each other 100% i'm we arent worried about std...etc. Are you saying it's not safe enough and that we should use a condom as well?
Thanks Cheryl

Reply to Cheryl
Posted by: Gabriella | 2004/11/20

The condom will protect you from HPV, HIV and a whole host of other STDs, as well as cervical cancer.

Some people say the only safe sex is no sex. Personally, I think the three-monthly injection (Depo Provera) is more reliable than the PILL, and may be a good choice if you are dead sure that you don't want to have any children for at least 2 years. (It can take up to 2 years to fall pregnant after coming off Depo Provera). Don't take it for longer than 5 years, however, as you may end up with osteoporosis.

Reply to Gabriella