Posted by: Chants | 2009/04/14



Im in desperate need of help regarding my weight. Im 20yrs old. I never had any problems with my weight before i was as they say under weight right through high school. weighing 45kg high 1.6m when i left school as a safety measure i was put on the pill i immediatley started picking up alot of weight. I then went to my doctor who changed my pill and no change in a period of a year 2008 i went from 45kg to 76kg' s... i feel uncomfortable as i am short and plump now with stretch marks. im not use to feeling like this and have lost alot of confidence in how i look and what i wear and even how i behave. i just feel really ugly. I belong to a gym and am on a diet im not the sweet type of over indulge. i love my friuts and veggies. thats what my diet consits of as well as chicken and fish. I have a belly which people often mistake as a pregnacy and my legs hips and arms are flabbier. lets not even mention the stretch marks... im using bio-oil for that. Doesnt matter what i seem to do nothing seems to work. I there another solution? Im in a long term relationship and cant afford to not take some kind of contraception....HELP

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Chants
According to my copy of MIMS most female contraceptive pills can either cause weightloss or weight gain depending on the patient's individual reaction. In your case you seem to be reacting to the female hormones by massive weight gain. I would recommend that you consult a gynaecologist for a totally different type of contraception (such as the IUD) which does not involve hormones. At the same time ask the dr to check if you have not perhaps developed insulin resistance (IR). It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), as soon as possible.
Holding thumbs that you can turn this situation around

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.