Question
Posted by: ANNA | 2007/03/23

contraception side effects

HI DOCTOR

I HAVE BEEN ON THE TWO MONTH INJECTION FOR +- 2 YEARS BUT IT MADE PROBLEMS WITH MY BREASTS. SO MY HOUSE GP PRESCRIBED MELODENE - ORAL CONTRACEPTION. I HAVE BEEN USING IT NOW FOR 3 MONTHS.
BUT THE PAST TWO WEEKS I HAVE BEEN HAVING TERRIBLE HEADACHES AND LEG CRAMPS. I READ ON THE PAMFLET ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS PIL AND IT MENTIONED SOMETHING ABOUT TROMBOSIS (NOT SURE IF THIS IS SPELLED CORRECTLY) . I WOULDN'T WANT TROMBOSIS SO I STOPPED DRINKING IT FOR 3 DAYS NOW. NOW I HAVE A PERIOD AND I STILL HAVE LEG CRAMPS.
WHAT AM I TO DO?
GO BACK ON THE PIL OR TRY ANOTHER PIL?
AND WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF FALLING PREGNANT AFTER MISSING 3 PILLS?
SHOULD I MAYBE FOLLOW THE 7 DAY RULE?

THNX

Firstly, thrombosis present with continuous pain in the calf and it is tender when you press it.
If you are young, do not smoke and have no family history, it would be quite rare. This is, however, a rare complication of all the Pills, not just Melodene.
You would be unsafe after missing the pill for 3 days. Yes, follow the 7 day rule.

1
Posted by: Suery | 2007/03/23

Hi. I experienced the same stuff on Melodene (and extra). I left it for Yasmin - even worse. So I decided to stop. Now only at month number 2 1/2 of being off the pill does the side effects stop. I read it can take up to 3 mnths for the pill to get out your system. I will now only try a new one. First get the old one out of your system before you try sth new.

Goodluck!

Reply to Suery