Question
Posted by: t | 2004/01/06

CONTRACEPTION

I am 21 years old and still experiencing breakouts around the mouth and chin area. I believe you were right, Doctor, when you said it could be hormonal. Would going on the pill help it? I have being considering going on a pill but everyone i know has put on weight while using it, and i am very susceptible to putting weight on easily and am afraid of this happening.
Have you any advice as to what pill would be best so as not to cause weight gain, but which will help with my skin problem?
And can one purchase the pill freely over the counter or must one have a prescription???

The best Pill for acne is Diane 35. You can buy this over the counter, though it is often a good idea to have a check before starting on the Pill, as there are some medical conditions where you should not take the Pill. Some women gain a bit of weight on the Pill, but not all.

2
Posted by: www | 2004/01/06

...oh and before I forget. I gained about 2kg after starting on the pill, but lost it again (without actively trying) within a month or two of starting. I think it's just while your body adapts to the new hormonal situation. Most people do not have weight gain due to the pill.

Reply to www
Posted by: www | 2004/01/06

Hello t,
Firstly, I know that lots of times Diane gets prescribed when the pill is taken more specifically for the skin than for contraception, however it's just as effective as contraception as any of the other pills. It's just very expensive in comparison. I would go and see a dog (even a GP should be fine) and ask what would be most effective, but you could mention that you'd like one of the options that a person can obtain at the clinics (the ones that some of the pharmacies have). They are available for free and there are a few options that you can choose from, like Nordette, Triphasel etc (all of which can also be bought over the counter as well). The last thing - you do not need a prescription to buy the pill - it is available over the counter, but you do need to ask for a specific one.

Reply to www