Question
Posted by: S | 2003/12/21

contraception

I have low levels of progesterone and received hormone replacement therapy during the early stages of my pregnancy to avoid a second possible miscarriage. In July I was hospitalised with asthma and gestational diabetes. Then in August I delivered prematurely at 30 weeks and soon after developed DVT in the leg. I was treated with high doses of clexane injections (60ml p/day) and warfarin tablets up until November. I have been unable to breastfeed. My question is what is the best possible contraceptive to take when living the low levels of progesterone and DVT - other than the condom?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Taking your history into account, one would have to look at a preparation very low in oestrogen. I would nevertheless advise you not to initiate therapy before discussing the situation with a gynaecologist. In the meantime, using condoms seems to be the only safe option.