Question
Posted by: Candice | 2004/02/09

Continous relatonship problems with guys

Hi Doc,
I am nearly 28 and my longest reltionship with a guy has been 9 months, even then It felt like it had ended months ago.I have had many relationships, so there is no lack of experience. My problem is that how do I know if there is something I am doing to cause these break ups. Even the sweetest guys I meet, eventually leave me a month or so later. The relationship just die. I am not controlling at all, don't try and change them and think I am a very easy going person. I have even been to see a hypnotist, so he could see if there was any underlying psycological problems. I don't have much self esteem, but am told I am very pretty, but don't accept compliments as I feel that's what they say now but give it a month and they will just leave me anyway.Should I go see a psychiatrist,

Dear Candice,
This is exactly the sort of question with which counselling is designed to help. And your perceptiveness in recognizing that you might well be contributing actively if unwittingly to the situation is promising, suggesting that counselling could work well in your situation. As Hypnotists are totally incapable of discovering whether anyone has "any underlying psychological problems" it doesn't much surprise me that this method didn't help you. So seeing a srink, perhaps better a psychologist, could help a lot.

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/02/09

Then the problem lies within you. Never attempt an relationship (a serious one) before you love yourself for who and what you are - otherwise no one else can really love you.

Reply to Paul