Question
Posted by: May | 2007/05/09

Contacting my half brother - good idea?

Hi Cybershrink

I come from a very dysfunctional family and don't speak to my 2 brothers for various reasons. Father deceased. Mother and I pretend to be close, but its rocky. My father was not a great person as far as I know and remember, and he had an affair with a woman who then allegedly had his son. Apparently it was real love and he adored her and left her a lot of money before he died. I know who she was and is, but do not know her whereabouts but suspect she is in Gauteng. My mother hates her and my father although he is dead so the ultimate betrayal to try and find my half brother. I want to do this in the hopes of having a "brother" and maybe an "extended family" in my life. Have no idea how she or he might feel about it. Plus my mother would never forgive me. What do you think and where would I start?

I don't think any of us can answer this for you. I wonder what actually you ae likely to gain from contacting this person, and what you might have to love by doing so. Weight up these, bearing in mind that your expectations from such a meeting might be unrealistic, and make your own decision

2
Posted by: April | 2007/05/09

Why not give it change? What can you lose? Nothing. God don't make mistake. There is a reason why he is your brother. You should accept him as your brother not half brother. I never had relationship with my dad's family until we met my dad youngest brother last month. I missed 26years of his life. We have alot catch-up to do. He starts to grow under my skin. There are not a day go by without contact each other. This is the best thing that could happened! Off you go make him part of your family, your life.

Reply to April
Posted by: rmc | 2007/05/09

I think you should do it. He could turn out to be a great friend. You and he are related by blood.

Reply to rmc