Question
Posted by: anon2 | 2007/12/03

Consultation

Hi CS
I was hospitalised for ten days in a psych hospital. My psychiatrist told me to make an appointment for a follow-up consultation when I was released from hospital. The only opening for an appointment was a month and a half afterwards. When I called his rooms to make arrangements to settle the bill, the receptionist told me if I feel fine I don’t need to see the doc. I welcomed the receptionist’s suggestion and cancelled the appointment. Is it necessary to see a shrink for a follow-up visit when one feels fine? How ethical is it for a receptionist to make a suggestion like this?

I can't obviously comment on the details as I don't know your specific diagnosis or condition, but here are some thoughts. (a) it should never be up to a receptionist to decide ot recommend whether or not you need to see the doctor --- that is something you need to discuss with him and decide together. It was NOT proper or ethical behaviour on the part of that receptionist. (b) if you were ill enough to need 10 days in hospital, it's likely that it would be wise for you to see the doc after you leave hospital. And he might well want to see you in less than a month-and-a-half ( presumably you only have his receptionist's word for it that this would really be the earliest appointment available ). Call back and insist on speaking to the doctor himself, and ask him about this

1
Posted by: Susan | 2007/12/03

I am a social worker and according to me it was not ethical of the receptionist to say what she says. The DR must have his reasons why he wanted to consult with you again. I would spek to the DR myself if I was you and also tell him of what happened.

Reply to Susan