Question
Posted by: consultant | 2007/04/03

Consultant vs Permanent

I am so angy i even have a headacre, I have been consulting at this company for 11 months, I have worked with lovely permanent collegues. Out of the whole team of 16, 2 of us are consulting, and the other guy is white male, and I am female black.

In this team there is this one collegue male indian, he is so nasty to, especially blacks in the team , he is like we do not know anything except him and the other white collegeus, funny enough the other collugue are a joy to work with, for the past 2 months he has been so nasty to me, and I have tolarated him and I think now I am loosing my cool.

How do I deal with him, in such a way that he understands that he has to stop his nasty attitude, without me jeopodising the contract my company has with this company, its like if I challenge him he can go to managment and contribute to them not renewing the contract.

I am so miserable coming to the office because of him, no matter how much effort you put in he does not get satisfied. (his nose is sooooooo brown)

Help

SOunds like he is behaving unpleasantly, unjustifiably, and with prejudice. As to how to handle it, much depends on the structure of the organization and the nature of your contracts, I suppose. Isn't there an HR dept or similar function, with which you could discuss his racist and prejudiced behaviour ( and sheer bad manners ? ) ? Why can't you go to management, as easily as he can ? And from the sound of it there are other people who can co nfirm that your complaint is valid. And consider discussing this with the CCMA and maybe Dept of Labour

6
Posted by: Breez | 2007/04/03

This is a tricky, one am also a consultant where I work, the lady that I work with is permanent and she is full S**T. Unfortunately I did not deal with it correctly I was emotional and beyond P*******t as she assumes consultants get paid more money than them and they are lazy! The ratio of permanents to consultants is 40:60.

She is ugly to every consultant, no matter the race but then she is a great asslicker! So my conclusion is ,she is upset with the world because she is ugly like hell, walks like a cow, nasty pig who can not manage her money and now she is bitter.(now that is off my chest let me get back to your issue)

Like I said I did not mange this very well, I now do not speak to this individual, I can not even bring myself to greet her she is nasty. Half the department does not like her.

So I suggest you report this individual, but remember he can deny it and say I have no clue what you talking about plus he can now victimise you. You will have double check you work to make sure there are no mistakes even tiny ones.

It is going to be hectic.

Better, still pray for his sorry behind and keep your mouth shut and work, give him a pleasant smile every time he walks pass or you have to do something with or for him.

Happy working

Reply to Breez
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/03

Well, if he is truly sorry won't his actions show that? And won't he make an effort to be better? Sounds like one we have here, he thinks that as he has a diploma in management it instantly makes him a manager.

I think you can quite easily report him to management but be careful.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Consultant | 2007/04/03

RCM

I think he is he a racist. a sexist, a chauvinist. He treats blacks bad, and us females he is worse. What amazes me is that he is not even a manager/team leader. It looks like the team leader is aware but does not care.

Can I report him to management even though I am consulting, because he will talk bad to me and do something bad to me, I will confront him, then after sometime he will apologise and he will repeat his behaviour again, how many time must I take his apology, I do not like being confrontational in the office.

Reply to Consultant
Posted by: Annelize | 2007/04/03

Report him at the CCMA or to management. He has no right to do that. If he wants to be racist he can be that at home and leave it there when he goes to work.

Reply to Annelize
Posted by: U | 2007/04/03

Fancy him displaying a racist attitude! No comment. If he is ur manager I strongly suggest u sit him down and discuss ur feelings, hard as it may seem. U have a right to be happy in the work place and be respected. Do not be afraid but whatever u do don't confront him in an aggressive manner. I suspect he is feeling a bit threatened esp cos u r EE. I bet once he gets to know u and realise that u r smart and a nice person his attitude will change.

Reply to U
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/03

How do the other perms and consultants feel? It is no good doing something on your own and then expecting them to support you but when it comes to the crunch they jump ship?

How does he treat the men vs the women? Is he a racist. a sexist, a chauvinist or all?

Reply to RMC