Question
Posted by: momtobe | 2004/11/18

constipation during pregnancy

hi doc
i'm 3 months preggies and recently on antibiotics for urine infection.i've got constipation and my anus is so sore,i am just scared of getting piles.is it possible? i dont know if it is the medicine or maybe i'm not eating right.can i eat a lot of bread?can i use some vaseline or is there something else i can use.when i sits it hurt. is it normal?please answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can use Vaseline and try eating lots of fruit and bran and take a laxative such as Senokot if necessary. Lots of bread is not a good idea.

5
Posted by: Rebecca | 2004/11/18

I would recommend drinking lots of soup, but as you are pregnant, I don't think it would be advisable to take in all that salt. Black coffee first thing in the morning works wonders for many people but, unfortunately, coffee is best avoided by expectant women. So, I would strongly advise you to phone your gynaecologist.

I would think that if you are constipated your gynaecologist, in any case, needs to know about it, especially if you are finding it painful to open your bowels so early on in the pregnancy. You need to sort this problem out very quickly, as it could eventually result in your having to have a caesarian section as opposed to a vaginal birth.

Antibiotics do not cause constipation. However, if you are taking iron tablets, these could definitely cause constipation. There are suppositories that you can take for the pain, e.g. ANUSOL.

Reply to Rebecca
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/18

Prunes are especially effective for constipation. Dates work well also.

You might also have piles (hemarhoids) which are quite painful. Ask your gynae about this.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Jane1 | 2004/11/18

You could also try Duphalac, I've had some relief with it.

Reply to Jane1
Posted by: Jelly | 2004/11/18

Two words - Bran and water.

I've found that if I have my bran in the morning and at least 2L water a day it keeps the constipation away.

Try it and let us know if its helping at all.

Reply to Jelly
Posted by: Francis | 2004/11/18

Constipation is normal during pregnancy, cause the baby pushes against your insides. Eat more fruits and drink alot of water.

Don't eat alot of bread. Bread is very fattening and won't help with constipation. If your constipation is getting worse, speak to your gynae so that they can give you something to ease it.

ps. it will get worse the bigger the baby gets if you don't eat properly.

Reply to Francis