Question
Posted by: Nadine | 2008/01/25

Constipation and Blood

Hi There!

I constantly have constipation, very bad, even though I eat plenty fruit and roughage, and after I have relieved myself there is bright red blood, is this something to worry about??

Dear Nadine

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You should treat your contipation with Laxette Syrup, 10 - 20ml, twich daily and two Softlax tablets at night, for approximately 1 week, depending on response. You should also drink at least 8 glasses of water and continue eating fruit and roughage.

The bright red blood is most probably caused by a mucousal lasheration or piles. If this worstens, you must definately visit a GP for an examination.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/01/26

Hi Nadine.

I struggle with the same problem esp during PMS and when I stress. I find that moderate excercise helps with water, I also cut out caffeine.

The best thing I found is not to drink any laxatives they make the problem even worse but to drink PRUNE JUICE. You buy it at Pick&Pay in the juice section. Wait till its nice and cold and then you drink 150ml. It works like a charm. I also sometimes find blood and think its just the blood vesels that are having a hard time cause of the constipation. Man its so sore...... Good luck

Reply to Kasandra