Question
Posted by: John | 2007/03/28

Constipation after surgery

A month ago I underwent cystoscopy surgery to fix a blockage in the urethra under general anesthetic. Since the surgery I've suffered sevre constipation. I've gone from a daily bowel movement before the op to once or twice a week with a small stool size. I've put of 5 kilos in the past month. Laxatives provide little to no help and I do not want to be reliant on them. The surgeon says it may be the anesthetic that has affect my system. Please help!!

Dear John
It could be due to medication you used for pain or spasm and maybe is still using. Antispasmodics, painkillers with codeiene in it are common culprits. Try taking fybogel orange with a full cup/mug of tea ( rooibos or ceylon) twice a day, get yourself some gliserine suppositories and put one in the rectum every second day just when you wake up. See if you are taking any medication that could be causing this?
Take a probiotica supplement with each meal.