Question
Posted by: Mangas | 2007/04/16

constipation

Dear Doc,

I have a 1yr old boy, healthy. however he suffers from constipation and we he passes the stuff comes out hard, is this normal if so, when is it going to end. what can we give him that will make his tummy soft.

concerned Dad.

Dear Mangas
It is never good when anyone, esp young children, pass hard stools that cause straining and in some cases pain. I would take your child to a dr for a medical checkup just to make sure that there are not underlying physical causes for his constipation. Discuss the use of a gentle laxative like Fybogel with the dr. In addition you can give your lad 2 tablespoons of boiled dried fruit with his porridge every morning and make sure that he is getting additional dietary fibre by only giving him wholewheat bread instead of white bread and a baby porridge which contains some fibre. Check that he is also getting enough liquid to drink (rooibos tea and water) in addition to his milk as this will make the fibre swell up and assist with the movement of the stools through the digestive tract.
But first see the dr just in case your son has a physical problem.