Question
Posted by: Bev | 2006/04/01

Constipation

CyberDoctor,
my bowel movements feel incomplete even though i take movicol or lactulose daily for chronic constipation (i'm a full time wheelchair user due to a neuro-muscular disorder).
I know that poor muscles and lack of mobility are not making it any easier either. I do drink a lot of water, avoid chocolate and cheese. I've had a few rectal impaction years ago, so there is definately a fear of it happening again. I now take the above meds and am to scared to not take them; and have a bowel movement without them, yet the movements are often incomplete.
Do you have any suggestions? Thanking you.

Hi Bev
Have you tried using a gliserin suppositry 2 to 3 times a week? Another option is to give yourself a enema once a week - but you may need help to get onto the toilet quickly You can take movicol and lactulose safely long term.

2
Posted by: Lis | 2006/04/02

Hi.,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems.,I have constipation due to IBS, and i find a fibre supplement really helps. i use Fybogel once a day, and it works wonders. Its an all natural product. but you should probably check with your doc to make sure its okay. it just gives that bit of extra ummph at the end!

Reply to Lis
Posted by: Logan | 2006/04/02

I have the same problem. I was again sick last year with a disease my neurologist says he can't give me a name for, or at least not at this stage. But I suspect it is Multiple Sclerosis. The relapse left me with a permanent constipation problem. My stools are like small, hard pellets and I pass a series of them twice a day (morning and evening). But I also get the feeling that I haven't done everything. I don't take laxatives because they give me terrible cramps.

Glycerine suppositories sometimes help but not always. Its possibly worth a try though.

Reply to Logan