Question
Posted by: Chris | 2005/12/08

CONSTIPATION?

Hi Doc,
I have a 21 month old baby boy. He refuse to eat the normal off the shelf baby foods. So we started steaming veggies and meat. I feed him mostely veggies like potatoes, sweet potatos, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and baby marrows. The meat is either lean mince or chicken breast which I cut into small pieces. At first I would mash the veggies and feed him. Now he insists on eating by himself so I've cut the veggies into mall pieces which is easy for him to pick up by hand or with a fork. I also give him yoghurt morings and evenings. And he loves his bottle of Rooibos tea with honey before bedtime and first thing in the moring. So far so good - he loves the veggies and enjoy eating all by himself. My proble is that he now seems to be a little constipated. He used to poop somewhere between mealtime and bath time. No more. Very often there is no poop in the morning either. The ladies at the creche says that he does go during the day. Did this change in diet cause constipation? Is it normal or shouild I be worried? What can I do to help his digestive process?

Dear Chris
From what you say your son should not be constipated and according to the ladies at his creche he does have a motion once a day. One motion a day is more than enough for a small child, so please stop worrying. What happens over the weekends when I presume he is not at the creche? Does he then produce a stool during the day or not? If he does make one stool during the weekend that is also already sufficient. Parents tend to worry too much about the bowel habits of their children. As his metabolism matures he will settle down to a pattern that is adequate for HIM, not you. Indications of constipation are if he strains when making a motion and if he produces hard stools which may even cause pain.
Relax and enjoy your son