Question
Posted by: So sad | 2004/11/09

Constipation

I just wanted to find out what is the best medication to take for constipation? I was diagnosed with IBS six years ago and my condition worsened about three years ago when I then saw a dietician who said that I am wheat-intolerant and that is the cause of my constipation but over the past three years my condition hasn't improved and I had to resort to taking black forest tea which I know isn't good to take on a long term basis and it also gives me a lot of cramping which I know can't be normal but nothing else seems to help my tummy work. I drink 1 litre water everyday, I eat salads for lunch, I eat a balanced meal at supper time and stay away from wheat products but I still suffer from constipation and I just wanted some advice on which medicine is best to use because I've heard that Dupholac isn't harmful and also that Aloe Forex is also best for long term use, please can you give me some advice, I really need some help, thanks.

Dear So Sad
Products such as Duphalac and Fybogel (which mimics foods that contain a lot of fibre and swell up, which then stimulates movement of the bowel (called peristalsis)) are generally less harmful than harsh laxatives. You could try them for a few weeks each and see which product gives you the best results without cramping, which is definitely potentially harmful. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'You are what you eat' and on 'Healthy GI tract' and read the articles esp about probiotics and IBS.
I do hope this will assist you to get back to normal again.

1
Posted by: eve | 2004/11/09

hi there
im no diet doc but i also suffer from ibs, its the worst thing anyone could have. I went to a health shop to buy some herbal medicines to help me and thank goodness the girl had the same problem, she referred me to a product called fibreblend, she was a true angel, and the product is fantastic and natural. you can get it at any health shop...or alternatively go for acupuncture especially when ou get those terrible knots in between your ribcage, thats is also a helper, cos they give you some form of natural medication to take for three days and it puts you staight on track.
i hope this helps good luck

Reply to eve