Question
Posted by: So Distressed | 2004/11/09

Constipation

I just wanted to find out what is the best medication to take for constipation? I was diagnosed with IBS six years ago and my condition worsened about three years ago when I then saw a dietician who said that I am wheat-intolerant and that is the cause of my constipation but over the past three years my condition hasn't improved and I had to resort to taking black forest tea which I know isn't good to take on a long term basis and it also gives me a lot of cramping which I know can't be normal but nothing else seems to help my tummy work. I drink 1 litre water everyday, I eat salads for lunch, I eat a balanced meal at supper time and stay away from wheat products but I still suffer from constipation and I just wanted some advice on which medicine is best to use because I've heard that Dupholac isn't harmful and also that Aloe Forex is also best for long term use, please can you give me some advice, I really need some help, thanks.

SD, Duphalac® isn’t dangerous, but there is a product formulated especially for IBS sufferers with constipation as one of the main symptoms. It is called Zelnorm® and the best would be to ask your GP about it. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Elaine | 2004/11/12

Eat lots of fruit (especially dried mango) and lots of CUPPA SOUP and I promise you, before you know it, you will be soooo regular, you will be going to the toilet literally after every meal.

Eating curry also helps. I never ever take laxatives, but I eat lots of fruit, and I drink 4 cups of soup a day (in curried chicked flavour) and my tummy works really well, especially in the mornings..

You should steer clear of laxatives. My mother took laxatives all her life, and eventually she developed colon cancer, and passed away a few months later.

Reply to Elaine