Question
Posted by: Mia | 2007/05/18

constantly tired

I have a 18-month old baby who still wakes up at night. I've started on a "program" to let him sleep longer, but it's only in the beginning stages. The earliest I get to bed is 11 at night, and baby wakes up at about 6 again. He wakes up 2-3 times a night. I have a full-time job, working on a pc the whole day. I have been very tired for a long time, and recently have constant headaches (I wear glasses). Yesterday while driving, my head started spinning slightly and I had problems focussing. I had to stop and close my eyes for a while, after which I was fine. Does this have to do with the tiredness, and is there anything to worry about? I started using Supradyn this week, so I'm still waiting to see if it makes a difference.

Hallo Mia
I SO know how you feel - mine only slept through at 3 years! OK, first exclude any physical reasons - test his urine and ensure that he does not have any urine infection or something else that makes him uncomfortable. Then try to get him in to a routine where he baths at a certain time and put him to bed by 8 o clock - ensure that he ate well ( food - not milk only) so that he does not wake up because of hunger. Try and wean him off milk at night - gradually dilute his milk with water until it is not pleasant to wake up for water only!Sometimes when they are light sleepers and they sleep in your room, he may awake because of hearing you during the night, so moving him to an adjacent room may help. You will only then wake up if he really cries and not with every small whimper in his dreams! Ensure that he does not wear anything scratchy like labels on his pajamas and that he is warmly dressed but not too warm. Get him a night light and let him sleep with a favourite teddy or pillow or something. Giving him a massage or using special aromatic oil bath oil for babies may also be useful to get him sleepy! If needed, ask your GP to prescribe a calming syrup at night for a few nights to get him to settle down and fall into a routine.

See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/baby-sleep/FL00118