Question
Posted by: Lee | 2005/06/30

CONSTANT WEIGHT GAIN

In a period of 6 years I have gone from 58 kg's to 78 kg's. I am only 5'6 tall and the weight is deposited on my tummy, bum and upper thighs. My ankles are the size they were 15 years ago! I look extremely out of proportion. I eat consistenly with a wee binge every now and then. My diet has been the same for the last few years and yet I keep piling on the kg's. I eat low fat milk/yoghurts, etc. 3 fruit a day, a meat portion, vegies and sometimes carbohydrates. I don't eat a lot of bread and sweets. I've had my thyroid tested (nothing wrong), I've recently stopped the Depo injection and am now wondering where will it stop? I am 33 and can no longer maintain the lifetyle of 6 years ago (excesive exercise balanced with a liquid diet and minimal food). I went to a dietician who seemed happy with my diet. I am starting to obsesses about my weight as my BMI is at 30 (obese) and have gone from a 10 to an 18 and I just don't know if I can afford (financially and emotionall) a shopping spree for summer clothes size 20. Please help!!!!!

Dear Lee
I agree with the dietitian that the dietary intake you describe seems to be adequate and not excessive. There must, therefore, be another factor that is making you gain weight like this. The contraceptive hormone could have contributed to weight gain and now that you have stopped the injection, you may find that you will lose some weight. Psychological factors such as depression could also be playing a role, if this is the case, then please get help from a clinical psychologist. Then there is insulin resistance which can cause weight gain and/or hamper weight loss. You would have to ask your dr to check you for insulin resistance and if this should be the cause go back to the dietitian so that she can work out a diet based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. You also need to start being active again - no not excessive exercise, but at least 30 min of aerobic exercise a day such as going for brisk walks or getting back to a gym. If you do join a gym ask the instructor to give you targeted exercises to slim down those problem areas.

3
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/07

Ria and Jane

Thanks for putting your notices up. Its good to know I am not the only person struggling with this problem. I will be going to the doctor and testing my insulin resistance (a new concept for me). I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Hope you girls keep in touch too so I can see how its going with you.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Jane | 2005/07/01

I really know what you are going through, I started at 71kg for my 1.66m frame and couldn't find clothes. I went to a dietician and started at the gym. Weight has always been a problem and nothing seemed to have worked before, but this change was the best thing that ever happened to me. And I truly believe that it can work for you guys too. I excercise 4-6 times a week, 1-1.5 hours and follow the Low GI diet. Well, it's not really a diet, more a healthy eating lifestyle. There is no starvation involved, and you feel so good because you don't constantly put junk in your mouth. There is a lot of reading material on this website that can be helpful. Try it, and I can bet you will see results. If only weight-loss was easy, but like we all know that have to deal with it everyday, there is no easy way out, so excercise, exercise, excercise. Good luck to you both.

Reply to Jane
Posted by: ria | 2005/06/30

GIRL I AM WITH YOU!
MY BMI IS ALSO 30 ... HAVE BIG BUMS,HIPS AND FAT LEGS.
BUT HAVE SMALL BREASTS! SO I LOOK ALSO OUT OF PREPORTION! MY WEIGHT AT THE MOMENT IS 88KG. ACCORDING TO THE TEST ON THE SERVEY I MUST WEIGH 67 KG ! I NEED TO LOSE 20 KG! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP US TO LOOSE WEIGHT! GIVE US A GOOD AND HEALTHY EATING PLAN! HELP !!!!

Reply to ria