Question
Posted by: Colleen | 2007/12/03

CONSTANT PAIN - PLEASE HELP

My husband (49 years) is really struggling with severe headaches and pain. This started about 5 months ago, out of the blue. It started with pains in his thumbs, which he explains felt like he had been holding his thumbs tight for a long time. This feeling has now moved right up his arm, and is now even starting in his feet. He went to the doctor, who without even examining him, told him that it was arthritis. Nothing was prescribed for this supposed arthritis. A short while later, the headaches then developed (pain in the thumbs resceded - only the tingling feeling remains explained below). Went back to doctor to be told it was stress!!! He then took himself off to a specialist, who refereed him for at CT scan (of the brain), which came up negative. Again - stress was concluded). He then developed tingling / pins & needles (he says it feels like he has slapped his hand hard gainst a wall - and this leaves him feeling nauseas) in the hands and arms. He took himself to the Chiroprator, who was unable to help with any diagnosis / relief. He has since gone to Physio, and also took himself off for Xrays, which have revealed the follwoing:
"Degenerative and spondylotic change present at C3/4. C5/6 C6/7 and to a lesser degree C4/5. There is some oseophytic encroachment into the intervertebral foraminae betwen C3/4 bilaterally and C5/6 and C6/7 on the right. There is no destructive lesions. Stress views do not reveal any instability."
What does this mean, and is there any connection?

While I undestand it is impossible to diagnose without seeing him, where can we go for some anwers. It is killing me to see him with this pain 24/7 (and bringing him to tears regularly) Please help with some guidance on what to do or where to go to find an answer or some sort of pain relief. He is not normally a sickly / complaining type of person, so this is totallty out of charachter for him, and very frightening / frustrating for me.

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to give you as much information as possible.

Hallo Colleen
the type of pain he is describing could be due to pressure on the nerve roots as the x/rays showed that from his 3rd neck vertebrae to 7th neckvertebra there are arthritic signs of the bones and there are bony outgrowths pressing on the openings where the nerve roots come out between 3rd and 4th vertebrae both sides and 4th and 5th and 6th and 7th on the right hand side. If physio and chiropractitioner did not help he probably needs to see an orthopedic surgeon. Take the X/rays and a physio/chiropractor report with if possible. Let me know if you managed?

2
Posted by: anelda | 2008/08/17

Ek het al vir die laaste 8 weke in my regter wysvinger
se kneukel pyn. Soveel so dat ek al voel om mal te word
Ek het artho guard en panamol en drink elke dag ponstel
vir die pyn.

Niks help nie, deur die genade is ek links handig maar dit is
baie pynlik en baie frustrerend.

Wat stel jy voor

Reply to anelda
Posted by: LYNN | 2007/12/04

Help Please, For months now I have had constant lower back pain, with a burning sensation going up to my lower shoulder blade area. Also around my diaphram feels as if being sqashed and I feel billious all the time. I am going through menapause, (don;t think this is related though). I'm finding it hard to concentrate and feel like exploding, this I'm sure is due to the burning pain etc.

Could you advise as who I should seek for help etc.
Thanking you Lynn

Reply to LYNN