Question
Posted by: Jake | 2003/12/08

Constant Nausea

I have had constant nausea for a few months now and have had a gastroscopy and many tests and examinations. Although a little reflux was found this would not have been enough to cause the nausea. I was eventually diagnosed with stress induced nausea. This is definately the case as when I relax or am distracted the nausea goes away....

I am now on 1/2 a trepiline a day and one Lanzor (this to control the acid reflux).

The question I have is what kind of diet should be followed as regards keeping the nausea down to a minimum. Should one have many small meals as opposed to three larger ones?
What supplements can be used that will reduce stress and be compatable with the meds described above?

Dear Jake
Seeing that your nausea is stress-related it is important to reduce stress as much as possible (psychotherapy to teach you better coping mechanisms and relaxing techniques; yoga to relax you by deep breathing and gentle exercise). From a dietary point of view it may help to have more frequent, small meals instead of only 3 large ones a day. Also eat low-fat food and avoid those foods that cause you discomfort (this is an individual reaction, so keep track of your reactions to foods and beverages). B complex vitamins and magnesium are excellent for calming the nervous system, so you could take a vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn for 2-3 months - this will not interfere with your medications.
Hope you feel better soon