Question
Posted by: Julie | 2004/10/19

Consistently sweaty hands/palms and armpits

I have recently found that my hands sweat continiously through the day (usually during working hours) as well as a massive increase in the 'sweatiness' of my armpits. This is very embarrasing as I meet several people in the day and always have to shake their hands. Also, I have now resorted to using a men's anti-perspirant deod, which isn't always effective. It's not that there is b.o., but rather that all of my shirts/tops always have big sweat marks on them. Please could you help / advise me. I have been told that this could be an anxiety related disorder and that it could be due to an over-active gland. But, this doesn't help me solve my problem. Any Ideas would be most welcome.

This can be related to stress, but also arises whether or not we are stressed, in some people. It gets called Hyperhidrosis, which is simply a posh word for being extra sweaty. A Dermatologist ( skin specialist ) is usually the appropriate expert here. There are special deodorants which are stronger in effect ; sometimes in very severe cases a simple op can reduce the sweating, and I hear that they're even using Botox with benefits, in this condition.
Seeing a counsellor or shrink to review whether any aspects in your life have changed at around the time you noticed the increased sweatiness , may help clarify the situation. Yoyu mention the sweatiness lasting all day, rather than only in some situations ( like meeting new people or running into particular problems at work ) which sounds, thus, less like a purely psychological cause.

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/19

I get that too.

Reply to Paul