Question
Posted by: KM | 2004/12/09

Consistent Thrush

From when i was 17 (I am not 23) I have been suffering with thrush consistently. I have it most of the month, but it gets worse before my period. I have used all the creams, and my gynaecologist has changed my pill and put me on Sporonox for 6 months. The pill change did not help at all, but the Sporonox cleared it up for 6 months while i was taking it. Soon after I finished taking the Sporonox it returned. I cannot live with it anymore and am wondering what i can do to get rid of it once and for all. Please help.

You may have to try some lifestyle changes, like wearing cotton underwear, avoiding nylon stockings and tight jeans, bubble bath, etc. Also you shoud boil your underwear to get rid of resistant spores. You should also check your sugar,as diabetes can cause recurrent thrush.

3
Posted by: FH | 2004/12/10

My 2 cents

The above is all excellent advice. You might want to also get your partner (if any) treated as well, because in a lot of cases the woman is treated for thrush, and her partner isn't. So it ends up being passed back to the woman. This was the case with my wife and me, she was always treated, and the doctor never recommended that I use the creams as well.

I'm diabetic, and with diabetics infection occurs a lot easier and takes a lot longer to go away.

Also, have your doctor test your blood sugars etc., as most diabetic women also suffer with reccurrent thrush.

Hope this helps you.

Good Luck, and happy holidays.

Reply to FH
Posted by: lindy | 2004/12/09

There are also a few things that you can do externally. Wear cotton panties, not g-strings. If possible, don't bath only shower, if you have to bath then don't use bath oils or bath salts or bubble bath, but get yourself some epsom salts and put some into each bath. It softens the water and helps prevent infections. Use glycerine soap, uncented and uncoloured, its expensive but worth it. Don't use soaps like protex, they kill good and bad bacteria which is good for odours but bad for protecting you against infections. Use only white toilet paper, no tints and no prints. Wash your underwear with sunlight soap, the yellow box with a picture of a family on it and don't add softner, this is also the best way to wash babies clothes if they have sensitive skin like mine do.

Reply to lindy
Posted by: Linus | 2004/12/09

Hi KM

I too used to be a chronic sufferer with thrush. While treating the condition with medication is good, what you eat also affects your it. Cut out all wheat (eat rye bread) and sugar. Also eat lots of bulgarian yogurt to put the good bacteria back into your system. This helped a great deal for me and it should help you too. Also remember to take a supplement to boost your immune system. Try this and see if it helps.

Linus

Reply to Linus