Question
Posted by: Worried Wife | 2007/03/19

Conscious sedation & the heart

My husband is meant to how for a op on his mouth to fix a tooth, he was going to go under Anesthetic, but then they decided to go with conscious sedation. They suddenly cancelled the op when they found out he had a "hole" in the heart when he was born. This grew closed when he was a child and he had a slight heart murmur, which last time he was checked by a doctor they couldn't hear anything. They now want him to be checked my a cardiologist. He has gone to the emergency room twice for low blood pressure and he has quite a slow heart rate, but he was checked out about 5 years ago and his EKG etc were normal. Should we be worried because the dentist won't do the surgery or do you think they are just protecting themselves.

Dear Worried wife
Any mouth procedure causes a bit of mouth germs to end up in the blood ( tooth surgery usually is a bit bloody) and if this happens the bacteria can go and sit on a heart valve and cause serious heart disease ( endocarditis). I therefor agree with your dentist to rather be safe than sorry and to ensure that he won't end up with heart failure because of a simple dentistry procedure. They will probably do a heart sonar and then decide whether they can do the procedure but that he may need to take antibiotics to prevent any infection for quite a while.

1
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/03/19

It sounds as if your Husband might have a leak valve, in which case he must take ANTIBIOTICS 1 hour prior to having any dental work done, in order to prevent infection called "endocarditis". I am sure that's why they didn't want to continue with the procedure. Only a Cardiologist can do a Dobbler sonar to see if he has indeed a leak valve and the degree of the leak. The ECG might come out normal, but he can indeed have a heart valve problem. Rather get an appointment for him at a Cardiologist just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Reply to Cornel