Question
Posted by: Richard | 2004/01/20

consachy virus

I have been diagnosed with the above and want more information about it. I have been told that it is also called "yuppie Flu" is this true

Richard, the Coxsackie viruses are a group of viruses that cause a host of different diseases. They are divided in two groups namely A (23 types) and B (6 types).
Coxsackie viruses cause the following syndromes:
1. Aseptic meningitis.
2. Bornholm disease.
3. Bronchitis.
4. Conjunctivitis.
5. Gastroenteritis.
6. Hand-foot-and-mouth-disease.
7. Herpangina.
8. Myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation).
9. Paralysis.
10. Pericarditis (heart sack inflammation).
11. Skin rashes.
As you can see, saying that you have Coxsackie virus doesn’t say much. Another thing is to make the diagnoses you have to isolate the virus or prove the presence of IgM antibodies. Most infections will clear up by them selves and only supportive treatment is necessary. Good luck.