Question
Posted by: Jane | 2003/12/13

Conracetpive - Maryna(??)

Can you tell me about the Maryna (if that is how you spell it)
I gather it is inserted like an iud(?) What are the advantages/disadvantages? How long before you fall pregnant when it is removed? How safe is it?

The Mirena is an IUCD which is coated with progesterone. This makes it very safe. It has the benefits of not causing heavy painful periods like the regular IUCD. In fact, many women do not have peiods on the Mirena. The main disadvantages are that it is expensive and that some women have progestrone related side effects like nausea.