Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2004/11/14

Congestive heart failure & swollen legs

A year ago my husband was hospitalized with congestive heart failure. His lower legs & ankles were badly swollen, almost black, & ulcerated. With the use of medication & pressure stockings there's a major improvement & he's been back at work for 6 months. He still walks with difficulty, the legs are still red & flaky, but the sores have healed & the swelling is minimal. Now, suddenly for the past 2 months he's been having terrible pains in his legs, especially at night, which he never had before. If he gets up & walks around for a while it helps a bit, but then his ankles swell up. I massage his feet & legs in an upward motion every night, trying to get the blood flowing. Are these pains in his legs normal for his condition, and what can he do to alleviate it.

Lisa, it might be due to a blood clot or inflammation/infection of the veins. If it is due to the congestive heart failure his doses need to be adjusted, so the best would be for him to see his cardiologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.