Question
Posted by: anna | 2007/04/30

Confused therapy

I’ve been seeing this therapist for a while now. Every time we move closer to an issue and it feels like I can trust her and be honest, I suddenly “close up”. It is again at a point where we had a good session last week, but now I feel like I need to run. I don’t want to see her or talk to her and I actually feel like I am angry with her, but I have absolutely no reason to be. I don’t want to tell her this because I have no rational way of explaining it.
Any idea why this keeps happening ?

Its usually extremely important within therapy to include the progress and processes of therapy itself, on the agenda. Both of you ought to notice patterns like the one you describe ( especially the therapist --- that's part of the job !) and its then a significant theme to explore together. There's no need for any "rational" way of explaining this or anything else --- DO see your therpaist and discuss it --- it's important, and whe you can work your way through this together, a lot more progress is likely to follow. There are many possible reasons for such areas of Resistance to arise, and geting past it can be a critical phase in your therapy --- go ahead, and good luck. This should be worthwhile !