Question
Posted by: Baby | 2005/01/10

Confused HIV+baby

Hi Im 24 and just found out that my boyfriend of 3yrs is HIV+ and wants me to go and test myself as we want to have a baby,but Im scared that things wil change between us but I need to know so that I dont affect my baby.My boyfriend is so optimistic about everything and he's not stressed about his status he has accepted. I haven't accepted I still want him to go somewhere and do another test.At the moment he's on medication for TB and has to take the full treatment for 6 months.Should I wait until he finishes his treatment before thinking about the baby or should I found out about my status.At the moment things nothing has changed we adore each other more than before. Im so confused and love him unconditionally.

Yes, you certainly do need and deserve testing and counselling on this issue. Good advice from Liza and Inc. And, as they say, check on TB too, as he has it. he child could be at risk for both HIV and TB, so it would at least be worth waiting till his TB treatment is completed and he's passed as clear in that regard. That doesn't change the need for you to check your status asap.

2
Posted by: Inc | 2005/01/10

Go and get the test done. Have you and bf had unprotected sex? You need to know before you decide on having a baby. Did he just find out about his status? By his reaction, it seems that he has known for a while. I can understand that this revelation make come as a shock to you, but there is nothing that should change your relationship.... changes will occur if you allow it to happen. Your boyfriend should also have a follow-up test done. You also need to be tested for TB.
Good luck Baby.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Liza | 2005/01/10

Get tested ASAP. For TB too, since you cannot use the TB medication while you are pregnant. If you're HIV positive, its not the end of the world - with the proper precausions your baby can be born without the virus. Just remember to take diet VERY seriously so that you remain healthy for longer. Plus take out extra life insurance so that you know that your child will have adequate care to e.g. go to university. Also remember that your child might be around long after you are, and you don't want him/her to end up as an orphan. Personally if I had to become pregant and were HIV positive, I'd make sure that there are great god-parents for your child who will make him/her their own after you have passed away. In the mean time they actually might find a cure - so good luck.

Reply to Liza