Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2007/06/21

Confused father in law

My father in law is always confused, disorientated, forgetful etc. I have always said that he has alsheimers because my gran had it and she was the same. My husbands family refuse to even consider the possibility and say that he is just under stress. He is 65. He had a biopsy yesterday on his prostate and because he has not been diagnosed with alsheimers the doctor did not know anything. This morning he woke up in hospital and was so confused he pulled out his drips and packed his bags. He couldn,t remember the guy in the hospital bed next to him or why he was there. Now the doctor says the operation has made the situation worse and that had he known about his "confusion" he would not have operated on him. Is this worsened state of confusion going to improve or is it permanent? Is it the anesthetic or something else that worsened the problem?
Unfortunately he has to go through the militery hospital who lost the results of the first biopsy which is why he was back again yesterday. The place is a nightmare. Please let me know if it is permanent and what you think casued it.

Dear Debbie
confusion can be caused by a lot of problems: usually metabolic ( low blood sugar or high blood sugar) , or due to drugs or due to small strokes in the brain, calcification in the brain, abnormal electrolyte levels in the blood, organ failure etc. One needs to do a whole battery of tests to determine the cause. Ask the orthopod to refer him to Internal medicine department at military hospital for evaluation. Anaesthetic and the emotional stress of being hospitalized usually worsens the symptoms.