Question
Posted by: PM | 2008/01/30

Confused???

I've been using the injection (depo provera) for the past 3 and a half years. I recently stopped taking it because of the wieght i gained and my breast constantly(every single day) feeling soar and tender. Lately i'm nauses and dizzy and get headaches. I don't feel like this everyday only 2 to 3 times a week. The last time i went for my injection was October last year and i missed my date for at least 2 weeks and during those 2 weeks i had unprotected sex, could it be that im pregnant. But i'm confused because i read that after using this stuff for a long period of time it can take up to a year to fall pregant, and since i've been using it for more than 3 years is it possible that these feelings i've ad lately is because i might be pregnant? Pease explain how this injection stuff really works.

Dear PM
The progesterone injection prevents pregnancy by making the womb unsuitable to sustain a fetus. Although it is true that most women will not fall pregnant for a while after stopping depo injections, you are at risk if you miss your follow up injection. Rather have a pregnancy test done to be sure.