Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/12

confused

Hi CS, its so odd that whenever I have a depressive episode, something physical comes up. Last week I was walking around with a headache from hell, very tired, (by now I should probably know the signs), then I read something, and go ahead and lose all my marbles. That's just the start. I go for an appointment to urologist as advised by physician, and what happens, he finds a cyst/growth whatever 5cm in my abdomen. This thing was seen before, I was told that it is probably an inflammatory mass, and that it had reduced in size and will probably go away. Now its back and has grown?? Is there any chance that he made a mistake? I dont know, I'm so confused. I wonder what starts first, physical probs that cause depression or the other way around? I am too tired to even think, I want to leave it maybe it will go away? I am very scared and tired.

I have found it useful to keep a special box for my marbles, so it's harder for me to lose them. But then, of course, sometimes somebody else moves my box....
Actually, its not only common experience but there's loads of good research to show that stress, anxiety and depression are associated with an increased incidence of various physical problems, and reduce one's immunity, for instance.
Sorry to hear about the "thing" in your abdomen. If such an object is palpable ( ie he can feel it when examining the abdomen ) or visible on sonar or X-ray / scan, then there is SOMETHING there, and there are a great many possible causes, most of them, fortunately, not serious, but still a nuisance, and usually the only way to be certain is to do a biopsy, a minor op in which it can be looked at directly and either removed or at least a sample of it taken and looked at under a microscope. And with many of the inocent causes such a lump may wax and wane withoput obvious reason. So while he's probably not made a mistake in finding that there IS something there, only further checking will clarify what the something is, and what's best to do about it. Sorry to hear about this worrying and annoying and distracting even, especially at this time of year. Hope it all turns out to be easily cleared up

4
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/12

Thanks Anon, I will have to do something like that.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/12

Thanks Maria, It reduced, and i think they assumed that it was not a problem anymore. When I saw him yesterday he said it has grown and is about 5cm and that something funny is cooking. He pointed it out on the sonar, but even so I think you are right about the second opinion.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: anon | 2007/12/12

Hi Hope* why not get a second opinion.
If it were me, I would be anxious to discover exactly what this cyst/growth is and the way to that is a biopsy/and/or removal of growth once and for all. Sometimes the body develops harmless cysts (made up of fatty sebaceous fluids) they can disappear on their own but sometimes they remain, even slightly smaller. My husband had one removed under his arm and the biopsy revealed it was not malignant.
If I were you I would go that route.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/12

Hope*, I don't believe one can separate the psychological from the physical decisively, even though doctors like to. When you are ill then you get depressed much easier, and when you are depressed your body's defences are down and you get ill much easier.

Luckily the reverse is also true... being healthy makes it easier to fight depression, and when you are not depressed you can fight off illness more effectively.

Did the growth disappear after the first time it was diagnosed? Or was it there all the time? You can always get a second opinion.

Hang in there. Hugs.

Reply to Maria