Question
Posted by: Lonestar | 2005/11/28

Confused

Hi CS,

I hope you're doing well and getting into gear for the festive season. What I am about to ask you is probably not something new and I probably know the answer too it as well. Thing is that maybe I just need a neutral perspective on this.

Since I have been diagnosed with my epilepsy things were going kind of like between the bottle and the label. I do a lot of research regarding my condition as well as the affect of the Bipolar on this. Though I must admit that the two together is a mission. Not much info, but that in itself is not my problem.

Howcome that the one day I am at peace with the world and accept that I must take medication long term to treat my epilepsy, then on the other hand I get days where I am so upset about it and can just not accept it. I just don't get it, because after my diagnosis the neurologist told me not to cycle anymore, I told her that no one will take cycling away from me and that it is my only way of taking time out for myself and to stay off the anti-deppressants. Only using Tegretol for the mood now. Offcourse I realise the consequences, but I am willing to take the risk. In fact I have just completed the 94.7 on the 20 November and it went very well. No signs of epilepsy.

Then over the weekend I had a huge blackout again. Because my hubby was not at home and kiddies unaware I can not tell exactly what had happened, only knew I was extremely tired after I came round. Had the pre-signs again etc. My neurologist reckon the dosage is fine. This was the 5th episode and yesterday it bogged me all day long. even today I can just not come to terms with living with a "thing" ruling my live whenever it feels like it. I have now become scared to get on my bike and train on the road. I'm freaked out and rebel against it. I can just not accept it.

It took me a long time to accept my Bipolar and I guess it will take a long time to accept the Epilepsy. Thing is in the meantime it freaks me out and I am really becoming depressed.

For goodness sake it is Christmas time and a time to be happy and jolly and Lonestar is hitting a low again. I am trying to stay positive and look to the bright side as I have proven that there is life with Epilepsy, but fail to find the truth in my own thinking and reasoning.

What am I to do?

LS

Its so nice to hear from you again, Lonestar, even when you aleady know the best answer to your question !
It's always hard to face the limitations an injury o illness places on our normal way of life. And as you've seen, a less-than predicatable blackout can be a serious problem at the best of tiems and circumstances --- but could be disasterous if it occurred in mid-race, on a bike ! You adapted to the more difficult issue of Bipolar, and you will manage to adapt to this --- work on developing new skills and now sources of fun, so that you;'re not solely reliant on cycling and similar activities for your fun.

2
Posted by: Friend | 2005/11/28

There is a link between epilepsy, mood swings and bipolar. They even prescribe the same medicine for both disorders. We all go through times that we feel very down, especially this time of the year. But please remember, there is always someone in much a worse situation than you.

Think About this

Should you find it hard to get to sleep tonight;
Just remember the homeless family who has no bed to lie in.

Should you find yourself stuck in traffic; don't despair.
There are people in this world for whom driving is an unheard of privilege.

Should you have a bad day at work;
Think of the man who has been out of work for the last three months.

Should you despair over a relationship gone bad;
Think of the person who has never known what it's like to love and be loved in return.

Should you grieve the passing of another weekend;
Think of the woman in dire straits, working twelve hours a day, seven days a week, for -15.00 to feed her family.

Should your car break down, leaving you miles away from assistance;
Think of the paraplegic who would love the opportunity to take that walk.

Should you notice a new gray hair in the mirror;
Think of the cancer patient in chemo who wishes she had hair to examine.

Should you find yourself at a loss and pondering what is life all about, asking "what is my purpose";
Be thankful. There are those who didn't live long enough to get the opportunity.

Should you find yourself the victim of other people's bitterness, ignorance, smallness or insecurities;
Remember, things could be worse. You could be them!!!

Reply to Friend
Posted by: cp mom | 2005/11/28

Hi mens

Antwoorde het ek nie, jammer!

Maar ek hoop daar is 'n uitkoms vir jou iewerste, regtig!

Reply to cp mom