Question
Posted by: worried | 2003/12/03

cone biopsy

my doctor said the report after my cone biopsy was first grade dysplasia,but also a few 3rd grade,but he pointed out no cancer.now if I browse through the web articles,it makes me believe that 3rd grade cell are already cancer cells,there was only one article which pointed out strngly that 3rdgrade cells could become cancer but are not.what is correct

Expert ImageArchive

What we call CIN 3 is a high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion and can be considered as a Carcinoma in situ. This means that there is no invasion of the basement membrane of the squamous epithelium and therefore it has no metastatic potential. In other words it cannot spread and if completely excised you are cured. So in other words nothing to worry about. It is however still important to go for regular follow up pap smears.