Question

Condoms, pills and injections...

Hi, my gynae advised yesterday that I stop using the 3month depo injection. In fact he advised that I should stop all contraceptives for a few months until my own cycle comes back.

I am the most paranoid person alive and my worst fear is falling pregnant. I love the depo injection, it is quick, it lasts long, it takes away the monthly blues, what more could I want? Yes.. he has also explained the downside of it (unfortunately)!

If I dont use any contraceptives for +-6 months, I will never ever only trust a male condom. So for +- 6 months I will have no sex (I am in a 2yr relationship).

When my own cycle "returns" I can then go onto the pill - which I find also to be a Micky mouse gimmik that doesnt work.

So Here is my question: If I am on the pill and my partner uses a condom, can I use the morning after pill as well after every sexual encounter to be extra sure?

I am terribly scared and I really have issues trusting condoms (that tear, fall off, etc) and pills (that dont work if you just sneeze funny)....

I need help! Maybe if you could recommend a good sexual counsellor in the JHB area that can assist me in understanding how and why these popular contraceptives actually work - contrary to what my beliefs are?

The Pill plus a condom would be more than enough protection. The morning after pill will only disrupt your cycle.
The Pill works by supressing ovulation. It is 99.5% effective if used correctly. I am not sure what your beliefs are.

1
Posted by: hi | 2007/03/06

hi,

the pill is just as safe as the injection. thats if you rember to take it every day round about the same time. but you have to be on it for some time so that your system can get used to it, then you dont even need to use a condom. i was on the pil, and thought it was a waste, and went of it - and 3 months later i fell pregnant. so the pil does work. i dont see why you must wait to go on the pill, i went straight after the injection on the pill, and my cycle is fine.

as for the morning after pill - its only to be used in emergencies. and it will mess up the pill. like any antibiotic, or vommiting, so rather dont use it as its got bad effects in the long run. and you will start getting used to it and it wont work in any way.

rather go and see another gynie, and ask him or her to explain to you. youll feel so much better.

good luck....

Reply to hi