Question
Posted by: jane | 2007/04/02

Concerns about Ashermans after 3 D&C's

I have had 3 D&C's in the past and recently have had ammorrenoreah (for 8 months) and I have slight endometriosis. I have just read about Ashermans syndrome and I am very concerned I may have scarring on my uterus. However I have recently had a laparoscopy and it was not mentioned in my results (scar tissue they found was endometriosis). Would the laparoscopy have definately detaected Ashermans syndrome?
I am trying to conceive but also have very irregular periods.

Dear Jane
The Laparoscopy would not detect Ashermans syndrome - but you can test this by taking hormonal supplements for a month and seeing if you have a bleed after you stop the packet(you can actually use a contraceptive tablet like Triphasil) If you have a bleed, you are still making endometrial tissue and probably do NOT have Ashermans. Alternatively they can do a histeroscopy to look at the lining of the uterus.