Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/10/07

Concerned over anorexic friend

Hi there. I've posted this on DietDoc's page as well but maybe you may also help me. I am concerned over my one friend. I am not sure if it is bulimic or anorexic, but she goes and throws up after every meal, sometimes when I visit my girlfriend ( her sister ) then my friend will come home and start shouting because there is no food made etc. But when she eats, she goes to the bathroom. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to care, it is as if he want her to get thin, she is already looking bad, when her mom or one of us talks to her she just say that she won't get a job because she is fat. She is far from fat, she doesn't even have her big breasts anymore. What can I do or say to her? She doesn't want to see a Doctor or listen to her parents (which doesn't say anything anymore) because she always cries about everything and shouts if she's not crying...

P.S. I'm her sister's boyfriend of 2 years

With the throwing up, sounds like Bulimia, but the distinction isn'[t criticial in that the treatment is similar. But very definitely sounds like an Eatng Disorder. You don't mention her age. If she's young enough, her parents can more easily press her into seeing a psychiatrist and preferably an Eating Disorder Clinic( eg at Tara ) ; otherwise it comes down to lots of careful persuasion. Sounds like she really needs the help, and her family needs to realize that this is a serious condition --- people may even die of it if its neglected.

1
Posted by: Lena | 2004/10/07

She is in denial but try talking to her about the consequences maybe that will help, I know what scares me is when I read about people that don't survive it . Maybe she could talk to a professional - therapy I think some people specialise in it.

Reply to Lena