Posted by: Concerned | 2004/10/07

Concerned over Anorexic friend

Hi there, I am concerned over my one friend. I am not sure if it is bulimic or anorexic, but she goes and throws up after every meal, sometimes when I visit my girlfriend ( her sister ) then my friend will come home and start shouting because there is no food made etc. But when she eats, she goes to the bathroom. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to care, it is as if he want her to get thin, she is already looking bad, when her mom or one of us talks to her she just say that she won't get a job because she is fat. She is far from fat, she doesn't even have her big breasts anymore. What can I do or say to her? She doesn't want to see a Doctor or listen to her parents (which doesn't say anything anymore) because she always cries about everything and shouts if she's not crying...

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Concerned
From your description, I would guess that your friend suffers from bulimia. You can gently start a conversation about people who resort to dangerous practices to lose weight and see if she will open up to you. If she does the advise her to consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or she can ask her gp to refer her), to help her work out what underlying psychological problems are driving her to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. She should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist her to get back to eating normally again. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area for her. If she is in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs she can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Tell her to go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.